Paris Study Abroad Sample Semester Budget
The Paris Institute of Creative Arts has put together some financial information to help students anticipate potential costs with our sample semester budget. Obviously, the amount of money each student will spend depends a great deal on their own spending habits. We recommend that students hold off on big purchases when they first arrive in Paris while they adjust not only to the cost of living in Paris (which may be quite different from what you’re used to from your college or home town) but also to allow some time to adjust to using euros instead of dollars for purchases. Additionally, as students visit different neighborhoods in Paris they will begin to better understand that certain parts of town are more expensive than others. As one might imagine, the closer one is to touristy sections of town, the more expensive most things become–from clothing we might buy in shops to the coffee we order in a café.
PICA Paris Semester Program Fee:
Tuition, Lodging & Fees $15,995
Meals: $1,300 – $2,500
Round-Trip Airfare: $1,000 – $1,400
Total: $3,500 – $4,800
One-Time Expenses (exchange May 2019: 1 euro= $1.12
Books: 100€ ($112)
Study Abroad Medical Insurance (estimated)*
200€ ($225) (fall)
400€ ($450) (year)
Monthly Expenses (estimate)
Meals (if preparing own meals)
Breakfast: 60-90€ ($70-125)
Lunch: 125-230€ ($150-270)
Dinner: 150-250€ ($170-300)
Pass Navigo for unlimited travel in Paris: 76€ ($87)
Entertainment (cost per event)
Movies (with student card): 7€ ($9)
Theatre (with student card): 15€ ($17)
Private Museums (students access national museums for free with student card): 7€ ($9)
Travel expenses before or after the term, and any trips taken during the mid-term break, are not included in this estimate. There are many free events sponsored by the University of Paris (bicycling, theatre, choral groups, etc.). These activities are fun and also serve as an excellent way of meeting French students.
Other PICA pages which may interest you:
- Check out our page on Paris Student Orientation.
- Learn more about PICA Weekend Trips from Paris.
- Health and Safety Tips for your time in Paris.
- Learn about French Culture & Customs.
- Managing your Culture Shock when first arriving in Paris.
- Where to find Art & Photo Supply Shops in Paris?
- How to get ready to go back home (and avoid the worst of Reverse Culture Shock)!
- Check out our always-growing PICA Paris Restaurants Page.
- Looking for Paris Vintage Clothing Shops?
- The PICA Paris Museums Page.
- Visit the PICA Paris Cultural Activities Page.
- Learn about French Culture & Customs
- Check out the PICA Day Trips from Paris Page.
- Learn about the Different Paris Neighborhoods.
- Recommended List of Paris Cafés & Bars.
- Where to go for Paris Nightlife.
- Where to Shop in Paris.
- Paris Restaurants Page.